Medical tests are an important stage in the NDA selection process. Once candidates get a recommendation from the Services Selection Board (SSB), they appear in the medical exam. Candidates need to be physically and mentally fit to join the armed forces. To assess the same, medical tests take place as part of the selection process in the NDA exam. In this article by Centurion Defence Academy, we will provide you with complete details on the NDA medical test. Read on to know more about height and weight for both males and females for NDA and all other details related to the NDA medical exam.
Why are NDA Medical Tests Conducted?
We all know that physical and mental fitness is an important requirement that defence aspirants should fulfill. In the armed forces, physical fitness is a major requirement as it is deeply connected with the morale and personality development of an individual. Therefore, besides their studies, NDA aspirants must also focus on their physical and mental fitness. There is a fact that many competent NDA aspirants are rejected in the medical examination. Hence, candidates applying for the NDA exam should get themselves medically examined so as to avoid any regret at the final stage.
It is obvious that a medically unfit candidate will not only use up valuable resources but also put the lives of other team members in danger while conducting operations. Hence, only individuals who are physically fit make their place to get training for combat and disaster relief. The following are various reasons for NDA medical examinations and the need for physical fitness.
- The primary responsibility of the Armed Forces is to defend the territorial integrity of the nation. Thus, the armed forces should always be ready for war, and for the same, physical and mental fitness is a must.
- Candidates willing to be a part of the armed forces must be in good mental and physical health to perform their duties which may include war as well as assistance to civil authorities during natural disasters.
- In order to fulfill their military tasks in challenging terrain and poor weather conditions, the officers in the armed forces must also be able to handle the extreme stress and strain of service conditions.
NDA Medical Test Procedure
All such NDA aspirants who get recommendations from the SSB appear for the medical examination. The NDA medical examination takes place under the direction of a Board of Service Medical Officers. Candidates should note that only medically fit aspirants are eligible to join the National Defence Academy. However, some candidates may be declared medically unfit during the initial stage. So, such candidates who are deemed unfit are informed of the provisions of the Review Medical Board.
Candidates must address any minor faults or sicknesses prior to appearing for the SSB interview or the NDA medical examination. This will help to speed up the completion of the NDA medical examination at the Military Hospital after being recommended. Some of these minor medical issues are listed below.
(a) Wax (Ears)
(b) Deviated Nasal Septum
(e) Under Sized Chest
Height and Weight for NDA Male and Female Candidates
Candidates who want to join the National Defence Academy should satisfy the minimum height and weight criteria as prescribed. Here we have provided important details related to the height and weight standards for NDA male and female candidates.
Male Candidates Height and Weight Measurement
- The minimum acceptable height for male candidates is 157 cm for the Army and Navy, whereas, the minimum acceptable height for the Air Force is 162.5 cm.
- The minimum acceptable height will be 5 cm less for Gorkhas, Garhwal, Kumaon, and individuals belonging to hills of the North-Eastern regions of India.
- The minimum acceptable height will be 2 cm less in the case of candidates belonging to the Lakshadweep region of India.
- There is a provision for relaxation of up to 2.5 cm in height in case the Medical Board certifies that the height of a candidate is likely to grow.
- Candidates should note that there should not be any indication of maldevelopment or impairment in the functioning of the bones or joints.
- The weight of male candidates for the NDA medical exam should be in proportion to their height.
Female Candidates Height and Weight Measurement
- The minimum height requirement for entry into the Armed Forces for female candidates is 152 cm.
- Gorkhas and candidates belonging to the Hills of the North Eastern region of India, Garhwal and Kumaon need to have a minimum height of 148 cm.
- There is also an allowance for growth of 02 cm for candidates below 18 years at the time of examination.
- The weight of female candidates should be in proportion to their height.
Chest Measurement, Dental Points, and Eye Vision
- There should be a good development of the chest of the male candidates with a minimum expansion of 5 cm after full inspiration. The full chest measurement should not be less than 81 cms.
- The hearing ability of a candidate should be normal to hear a forced whisper in a quiet room with each ear at a distance of 610 cms.
- The candidates must have a sufficient number of healthy, natural teeth to receive at least 14 dental points without showing signs of severe pyorrhea.
- Candidates must have perfect vision in both eyes (6/6), without any signs of color or night blindness. If a candidate’s eyesight satisfies the basic requirements, they are eligible for evaluation even if they wear corrective lenses.
Other Requirements for the NDA Physical Test
Candidates appearing for the NDA medical exam must be in good physical condition that satisfies the required fitness standards of the armed forces. The following list contains the main criteria for the NDA physical test.
- Covering a distance of 2.4 km in 15 minutes
- Skipping to build stamina
- Minimum 20 pushups and 20 sit-ups
- Minimum 08 chin-ups
- Rope climbing 3-4 meters
Join Centurion’s 21-Day SSB Program for NDA 2 2023
Centurion Defence Academy is the best SSB coaching in India for holistic guidance for the NDA 2 2023 SSB Interview. In Centurion’s 21-Day SSB course, you will get interactive sessions by SSB experts and professionals to help improve your fundamental understanding. The professional SSB guidance by our experts will help in assessing your strongholds and areas of improvement. With the help of our comprehensive mock interviews, you will be able to assess your level of preparation. Besides these facilities, we also have India’s largest GTO ground to help you prepare for your SSB Interview with a holistic approach. Join Centurion’s 21-day SSB program for NDA 2 2023 and ensure your recommendation.
NDA Medical Test FAQs
- What is the aim of conducting the NDA Medical Tests?
NDA medical tests aim to ensure candidates are physically and mentally fit for the armed forces. This is because fitness is crucial for their roles in defence and disaster relief.
- Who conducts the NDA Medical Examination?
A Board of Service Medical Officers conducts the NDA medical examination.
- What happens if a candidate is medically unfit for the NDA medical exam?
Candidates who are unfit for the NDA medical exam get information about the provisions for a Review Medical Board examination.
- What are the height requirements for male candidates in NDA?
The minimum height for the Army and Navy is 157 cm, while for the Air Force, it’s 162.5 cm. Some regions have slight variations.
- What is the minimum height requirement for female candidates?
Female candidates need a minimum height of 152 cm, with slight variations for certain regions and allowances for candidates below 18 years.
- What are the chest measurement requirements for male candidates?
Male candidates should have a well-developed chest so that there can be a minimum expansion of 5 cm after full inspiration. Further, their full chest measurement should not be less than 81 cm.
- What is the hearing ability criterion for NDA candidates?
NDA aspirants should have a normal hearing so that they can hear a forced whisper in a quiet room with each ear at a distance of 610 cm.
- How many dental points are there for NDA candidates?
Candidates need at least 14 dental points without severe signs of pyorrhea.
- What are the vision requirements for NDA candidates?
Candidates must have perfect vision in both eyes (6/6), without color or night blindness, and candidates with corrective lenses can also take part.
Success Story of AIR-85 Recommended Candidate of NDA-150
Monday | November 27, 2023
In today’s NDA success story, we are featuring Ankit Tripathi, a proud student of Centurion Defence Academy, who cracked his SSB interview for the NDA 150th course from 18 SSB Allahabad and paved his way to join the National Defence Academy. Ankit secured AIR 85 in the final merit list of the NDA 2 2022 […]
Khushi Kumari’s NDA Success Story-AIR 7 Recommended Twice
Thursday | November 23, 2023
“Some goals are so worthy, it’s glorious even to fail.” The above statement was given by Captain Manoj Kumar Pandey, an officer of the Indian Army who was posthumously awarded the Param Vir Chakra, India’s highest military honor, for his bravery during the Kargil War of 1999. This statement represents the essence of pursuing noble […]
How to stay motivated during NDA exam preparation?
Tuesday | November 21, 2023
When we talk about the motivation for NDA, we need to understand that it is not only limited to the time of your preparation but also how prepared you are for the life ahead after joining NDA. Here, your motivation factor will play an important role. You should know that you are going to join […]
NDA | CDS | SSB | AFCAT | MNS | AIRFORCE | NAVY | CAPF | TA | SAINIK SCHOOL | INET
Join our offline classes to achieve 100% satisfaction. Just call 9795977776